Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Servicio Publico

there was one time (i think) last month when I actually woke up from the sunniest side of my bed that i was sooo nice the whole day, that thinking about it now--it freaks the hell out of me. :P I think I even messaged mommyontop an analogy: 'kung nagsabog ang Diyos nang kabutihan today, I must have been unconscious or asleep, with my mouth open wide.' Anyway, nakakatuwa, it turned out that Im up to helping someone that day. I got this email from someone I dont personally know, asking about iWeb. Nakita daw nya kasi yung Save the Date movie na ginawa ko (which I posted 'somewhere'--hehe), then discovered my website. Hemingweys--she asked me about publishing her iWeb creation, doing away with mac's expensive web hosting. Ang swerte nya, kasi I dunno--I was extra nice that day. Ang resulta? Step by step tutorial (na hindi copy-pasted from somewhere, mind you!) kung paano mag publish outside the mac domain, with matching sward-speak. I never imagined myself doing such things for someone I dont know, so nung natapos ko ang mahabang enumeration, ewan ko--I felt accomplished and just so happy. Nag reply agad si 'lucky message sender' and she was so gracious--funny! first time eh. :P She even suggested that I make a website for mac DIY tutorial, which I think is generously online naman, siguro nga lang, masyadong technical or ewan ko--usually kasi mga lalake ang nagsusulat, so you fall asleep, step number two palang. joke! So, why not, diba? This my friends, eez my version of DIY web publishing on iWeb (non-mac domain). Henjoy!

First of all, secure a domain name first (by the way, nagamit mo na ba yung free 30 days subscription mo sa mac.com? kasi okay din yun, altho yun nga lang, 30 days lang yan na libre). There are alot of those on sale online, and prices can vary from very cheap to almost as expensive as mac's 5USD/month. I use Cyberduck for my ftp uploading. Thats what you use if you'll be uploading your website outside the mac domain, which you can also download for free at the apple downloads corner, or directly at: http://cyberduck.ch/

Ngayon, kung may domain ka na at naka install na yung cyberduck mo:
1. go to iWeb, yung project mo mismo
2. tapos 'publish to folder'--> nasa unang hanay yata yan ng file commands (sorry ha, nasa opist ako ngayon eh, and Im using a pc. :) look for it...andyan lang yun)
3. you have to create a sub folder sa documents folder (not really a folder, diba? basta yung under documents ekek). now, dont ever move that folder--that should be a permanent fixture dyan, kasi everytime you save your work, you have to publish it there. not a good idea if you rename it, or move it, kasi uploading is always based on paths diba. So overwrite lang nag overwrite everytime changes are being made sa iWeb.
4. Mapapansin mo na yung files created dun sa folder na yun, may mala directory (or index). then andun din yung folder/s created per project you make. Open your cyberduck, then drag EVERYTHING dun sa box (or kung ano man yung mag aapear via cyberduck).
5.Pag first time mo, walang overwrite ekek na itatanong. so the next time you make changes, even the slightest ones--you have to 'publish to folder'--> overwrite--> drag everything to cyberduck--> overwrite.
6. tapos mag po prompt yan (just in case)--need to change keychains. ang sagot dun eh yes.
7. Last but not the leat--make sure na na set up mo na yung domain name mo (where you'll be publishing. Tanong ko rin sa bro ni Jay kung magkano ngayon yung mga binebentang domains). Kung hindi pa, then just 'publish to folder', para lang naka save yung work mo

ah, technical-creative writing ba ito? :)

No comments: