Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Dearest Jan

Aside from my sister (okay, fine--and my nine other 'roommates' in my V Concepcion dormitory 'Tierra Purra' in UST), the only person whom I've shared my room with is Patamawadee Jongruk, aka Jan -slash- Ms Jalan Kelabu Asap (Im Ms Taman Warna). It was my first night in Singapore, and we were sharing a landed property (hoy, fyi--mahal yan dito, sosyal (for Jan's sake it translates: which is very expensive here, so imagine the poshness. Oh my Jan--why didn't I teach you Tagalog that time??) with eight other people from different countries across Southeast Asia.


It didn't occur to me at first that she's actually a blessing--this girl who introduced herself as Jan (because, she explains, 'my birthday is in January'), and showed me her 'Thai National Costume' that first night we stayed in one room, beds to the opposite sides. She's very 'un-stereotypical'-- will definitely surprise you. Sweet, yet tough, looks fragile, but can eat a cow (uh -oh...did I beat around the cultural sensitivity thing again? ), very motherly--but hey, she's a bitch (arent we all? hehe) when provoked. Most of all--she thought me how looks can be decieving--and that you dont need to try very hard to make everyone think you're strong and brave (and the list goes one). If you're a natural, then things dont have to be too hard.

I remember one time when I was just too tired, I talked to her in Tagalog. We were laughing all night about it. Or that time we had to accomplish a challenge which involved very hot sulfuric water and barefeet. For some reason, I felt so proud of my roommate--whoa! the only person who can stand that much heat for the longest time! I know...she's a man. :)

Or that one time I was sleeping too soundly, I cant hear her knocking on the door. They had to resort to 'extreme' measures to get me to wake up (Trong had to climb from the back of the house). Oh my, it was embarassing. funny, but gee!


It was a lot of fun, those five months. Today, Jan is doing very well, thank you very much. She's pursuing her Doctoral degree in Governance at the University of Manchester in the UK. When will we get to shop for those Wacoal Brassiers in Bangkok? Hopefully soon. If not Bangkok, Siem Reap and Phnom Penh will be just fine (hah!). I love this Jan--not only becuase we're both pretty (nyaaah), but becuase she's the best Thai roommate of all time (thats called overkill).



Take care always, Naja. Dont go 'round make those Machester boys cry. Behave! :)




Btw: pictures I nicked from Jan's blog (its in Thai!). ehehe.

No comments: